Mark your calendars Join Hands Day is fast approaching! Traditionally held the first Saturday in May, Join Hands Day is a product of the American Fraternal Alliance. The day is designed to span the generations and form a volunteer day in which youth and adults create a dialogue and work together on projects of mutual interest to benefit their communities. The best part is that you’re not limited in the type of project you select – you can be as creative as you like. We encourage you to visit our Members’ Area at www.uct.org for project ideas.
Keep in mind that all we ask is that you notify the UCT home office of your event, providing project description, names of participants and action photos to use on our Facebook page and website. One Join Hands Day event equals two events for the UCT Medal Of Honor program and a thank you and recognition at the UCT annual convention. For UCT purposes, your Join Hands Day doesn’t have to be held on the first Saturday in May. If you have a youth group or organization that your council wants to partner with, you can hold a Join Hands Day event on any day.
Join Hands Day is a great way to introduce young people to UCT and volunteering. Some suggestions:
– Make your project “high profile.” Get the UCT logo out there and wear your UCT shirts or create a banner.
– Provide lunch, certificates of appreciation, or an incentive to the youth group you partner with.
– Notify your local community newspaper. Let them know what project you’re planning, then provide them with photos and information once the project is complete.
– Partner with another fraternal organization or volunteer group; just make sure UCT is represented and acknowledged.
– Having trouble finding a youth group? It doesn’t have to be an organized group – member’s children and grandchildren or even neighborhood children can make up the group.
This is a great opportunity for your council to get recognition in your community and an opportunity to make contact with “the younger generation.” Please take advantage of it! Questions? Contact Ann Marshall at 800-848-0123 x126 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.