The UCT Gives Back to Special Hockey video contest off to a great start! The videos of the 10 deserving finalists how the $10,000 and $5,000 prizes would help their programs for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities are posted – and votes are coming in at a rate of more than 1,500 every 24 hours!
You can help amp up votes for your favorite team’s video by getting the word out to friends, family, co-workers, and your local community! Here are nine ways you can spread the word about the contest:
1. Get coaches, parents and volunteers to click in votes daily on UCT’s Facebook page and share status updates across social media sites. Remember, BE SURE TO VOTE DAILY!
2. Have a blog? Use it to get the word out about your participation in the contest and ask for votes. Don’t have a blog? You might want to consider creating one to write specifically about the contest.
3. Pitch your story to local media and ask them to do a feature story (or two or three) about your team and the contest. Target newspapers, TV, radio, etc.
4. Many TV and radio stations provide free time for brief (30-60 second) public service announcements (PSAs). It can be difficult to secure a spot so be sure to call ahead of time to find out who you should send your announcements to and in what format.
5. Make flyers promoting your team and the contest, and ask local pizza and sub shops – and any other restaurant that delivers food – to distribute them with each delivery.
6. Canvass neighborhoods and parking lots, leaving flyers on windshields and front doors. Gather a posse of family and friends to distribute flyers at local festivals or community events.
7. Create handouts that include quick and easy info about voting and ask local restaurants, grocery stores, banks, businesses, and other community spaces to keep them stocked where individuals can easily see them.
8. Ask local businesses that send out regular monthly mail if they will drop in an additional info sheet about the contest and your team. Some businesses might even be willing to help create a piece for you.
9. One of the best ways to promote the contest and your team is through word of mouth. Make sure family, friends, colleagues and others know the details and ask them to encourage their family, friends and colleagues to vote.
Remember, you can vote once every 24 hours at www.facebook.com/UCTinAction and voting runs through Dec. 4, 2015, so don’t delay…get the word out TODAY! In case you live in a cave and haven’t heard, the UCT Gives Back to Special Hockey video contest is for special hockey programs that support individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The winner will receive $10,000, and 2nd place will receive $5,000! The winning teams will be announced and awarded the $10,000 and $5,000 cash prizes in December 2015.